Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Strangers and Friends

I was really struck by something today. A good friend of mine, Kerry, runs a non-profit animal cancer group called Georgia's Legacy. She's made it really successful and connects with a lot of parents dealing with cancer and helps them navigate through the diagnosis and provides loads of support. Kerry and I met through an online pet cancer support group, called Pet Cancer Support Group (or PCS). There at PCS, I have connected with dozens of amazing people, people like me, who love their pets like children and fight to the bitter end to make their lives whole.



My PCS friends are some of my closests friends; we have gotten to know each other on the deepest, most personal level. We've been there for each other through diagnoses, treatments, all of the ups and downs of illnesses, and, unfortunately, at that most awful moment when the fight is over. We come out different people on the other side of the fight, but it's what bonds us for life.



Many of the PCS members are also friends on Facebook (and sometimes it seems like we've migrated all of our support to Facebook instead). Georgia's Legacy has a Facebook page, and Kerry shares stories of the pets she's helping. As a parent who's been there, it's oddly comforting knowing that a complete stranger cares what happens to your loved one.



Today, a brave dog with bone cancer died in surgery, surgery meant to slow his cancer and improve his life. It's horribly unfair. In fact, I'm speechless about the cruelty of fate. But getting back to my original point, and what struck me so much today, was the number of complete strangers who wrote to Georgia's Legacy and showed support and expressed sadness at the passing of this dog. None of these people have ever met and many had never even heard of this particular dog until the day before, yet they opened their hearts to a family in pain. They shared a grief that they themselves most likely have felt at some time in their lives.



There is nothing good about a dog losing a battle with cancer. But at least it brings together people with a common bond; one of the purest, most beautiful forms of love. And while the world is a little bit sadder today for the loss that has occurred, I like to think that there is a little bit more love out there too. I can feel it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was able to hold the tears back until I read this, but what you have said is the absolute truth.

-Jeanie