Monday, January 31, 2011

Reminders


Yesterday, while at a pet food seminar, I ran into one of our old vets, Dr. Tricia Stimac. She is one of my favorite people in the whole world, and Jim and I were heartbroken when she moved out of our area. Luckily, she's practicing again in the suburbs, so we still see her from time to time.
Anyway, Dr. Stimac was who our cats saw most of the time, but she knows our whole family really well. I hadn't seen her since some time last year, so she knew Mr. Squiggles was missing but hadn't heard that he had been found. So I got to share that happy news with her! Not an uncommon reaction, she showed me the goosebumps on her arm. I guess his story can do that to you.
I am thankful every day that Mr. S came back, but it's days like that, were I get to share his story, that remind me of exactly how much we have to be grateful for. The horrible memories of those 13 months will never go away, but I can already feel them fading. It's hard, when Mr. Squiggles is curled up on my lap, or staring at me with his big, gorgeous eyes, not to heal just a little bit every time.
I was gone so much this weekend, and today he is my "velcro kitty." He wants to lay on me, though that's not quite enough. I have to be petting him and loving on him too. He's demanding all of my attention. And you know what? That's ok with me.

No comments: