Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dog Ain't Got No Sense


So Indiana has this annoying habit of wanting to stay outside all day, every day. She's always done this, but it seems to be more of a compulsion now that she's older. Our vets say it' s soothing to her joints (contrary to popular belief, heat isn't necessarily the only way to soothe arthritis--the dog will typically give you "hints" as to whether they have cold or heat arthritis). While she's always loved being outside, I question the sense in this as WE LIVE IN FREAKING ILLINOIS.

Every time I leave the house, I think, "Should I lock her in?" (We have a pet door, and the kids have free access to the fenced-in yard) Every time, I think, "No, she's smart. She knows better than to freeze to death." Except, I'm not sure she does. Several times I have come home to a half-frozen dog. When this happens, I have to cover in a blanket. One day it was so bad, I had to break out the electric blanket. She hated it, but HEY! It's the price you pay for having no sense.
I want to give her the benefit of the doubt (having enough sense to come in before hypothermia or frostbite set in), but really, has she proven herself? I think not. I hate to lock them in, but I would hate a damaged dog even more. It's supposed to get brutally cold here very soon, so I may have to implement some tough love.
I knock on my dog for having no sense, but honestly, who is the one who keeps trusting her? I think, somehow, my dog keeps outsmarting me.

No comments: