Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rebound

It seems hard to believe that just 5 days ago, my dog was struggling, and I was worried we were near to losing her. The last several days, she has made such a comeback! That's not to say she's running around like a puppy, because she's not. She still hobbles around and is slow to rise. But she can get up on her own, and yesterday, at Boommaw and Boompaw's house (that's Grandma and Grandpa for non-"Mr. Hobbs Take a Vacation" fans) she actually got up on the couch. Unassisted. Well, she used a step stool, but still.

The light is back in her eyes, and she's eating really well. The tenacity of this dog never ceases to amaze me. I have never seen another dog in my life with the will she possesses. Maybe it sounds egotistical, but I know she sticks around because she loves me and Jim so much. That's both flattering and humbling and is the reason I work so damn hard to keep her going. She's been on the brink of death so many times and has always come back.

I know this isn't the start of some miracle. I know our time is still limited. But perhaps it isn't as limited as I first thought. Life is precious, and certainly, in Indiana's case, fragile, but every day is a gift. And I should know by now never to count Indiana out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you and Indy, Jen. I hope she continues to surprise us all.
-Jeanie