Friday, January 28, 2011

My Cats And Birds

(Notice the little naughty blob of orange on the bottom, left-hand side of the photo?)

Like every self-respecting cat, mine are fascinated by birds and squirrels. In the summertime, I often find them lying in wait next to the numerous bird feeders we have placed around the yard. It's pretty cute, but I'm unsure about how effective it is as a hunting method, considering the number of birds they're actually able to capture, which is proportionally very low. (Rodents are a different story)
In the winter, bird catching opportunities are limited, because it's not worth your time to go out and stalk one when so many are available for viewing from the comfort of your own home. Dawn is prime bird viewing at our house (apparently), and the preferred spots are in the bedroom or on the cat tower in the living room. I'm a light sleeper and usually wake up when the cats spot a bird, because Gus especially emits the strangest chirping noises I have ever heard. Chirping, clicking, I've heard it described many ways; it's an odd noise that some cats make when they spot prey. All I know is it makes me giggle so hard every time, which I try to stifle so as not to distract my cat. While I heard Q make these noises the other day, Gus is most consistent about it, and I love it every single time. He crouches low to the ground, twitches his tail, and makes very soft chattering noises, his jaw moving up and down. It's really one of my favorite things, ever.
There also is a family of squirrels living in one of the trees in the front yard. There is a perfect vantage point from one of the upstairs bedrooms, and we've (quite thoughtfully, might I add) supplied a comfy blanket for optimum cat viewing pleasure. I'll often walk upstairs to find Samson lying on the blanket, completely enthralled by this family of squirrels. Eyes wide an alert, tail twitching, he is the epitome of a happy cat.
I think I'd love to live as one of my cats for a day or two; It's gotta be pretty sweet.
Update on Indiana: I didn't write much about Indiana this week, because she's doing pretty well. She's been eating well, getting around pretty well, and generally acting happy. She's getting a chiropractic adjustment tomorrow morning, and we're working on getting her therapy pool ready to roll. She still wants to spend way too much time outside (and it's been hovering at or below freezing).

1 comment:

PetEOL said...

Jen, I found your blog earlier but have just had a chance to read about Indiana. Sending hugs to you and Jim -- and Indiana of course -- plus catnip wishes to the kitties.

Tweeted about your blog; I hope people find comfort from it.

http://twitter.com/PetEndofLife