Thursday, May 26, 2011

Another Round


My Boo has another UTI.  She's been getting about one a month, which means we are almost constantly treating her for one.  I'm getting to be an expert at diagnosing them myself, and by diagnosing them myself,  I mean that I notice that she is peeing on the floor, and then I have to pay a lot of money for a test that will tell me what I already know.  Then I get drugs.  (And this happens quickly now, because her UTIs go from zero to awful in about 24 hours)

UTIs suck not only because they make Indy feel kind of miserable, but they almost always cause her to alter her eating habits.  So our very restricted dietary options become even more narrow.  I posted a frantic Facebook request for ideas on how to get her to take her pills, because, suddenly, none of our old stand-bys were working.  Cream cheese: no.  Peanut butter: no.  Liver sausage: no.  American cheese: no.  My friends came to my rescue with great ideas, and one idea (thanks, Brittany!) I was able to use right away, because I had all the necessary ingredients already at my disposal: white bread with some corn syrup on it.  This has been working really well.  Miraculously, almost.  But then, this morning, three pills from the end, Indy started spitting out the bread.  So we switched back to peanut butter to finish up, and that worked.  So now, not only is Indy changing her mind meal-to-meal, but, apparently she is also changing her mind mid-meal.  That's super great.

I don't think this infection is clearing up as quickly as the others have, so we'll be taking a urine sample in today to see what's going on.  Usually, after a few days of antibiotics, the urine leaking stops, but we're on day 10, and she's still leaking.  (Sometimes it just takes her bladder a while to tighten back up, but I figure better safe than sorry) 

Overall, Indy seems to be feeling okay.  Pickiness aside, she's eating really well, and she's very alert and happy.  So it could be a lot worse.  But I would love to know why her UTIs have become so frequent.  If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd welcome any of them!

No comments: