Friday, May 20, 2011

An Amazing Weekend

Kerry, Me, Andrea, Teresa, and Keri

This past weekend was the 4th Annual Paws 4 A Cure Walk.  If you've ever read my blog before, you probably are familiar with it, as I've spammed these pages for about two months now, trying to promote the organization and my walk team.  I was super excited to fly to Boston with my best buddy Amy and walk in honor of Indiana.  I'd be meeting a bunch of my online pet cancer friends in person for the first time, so I was really looking forward to that.  These ladies most definitely did not disappoint!

Though I had never laid eyes on these women (other than pictures) before, meeting them was so natural and easy.  We're all friends on Facebook, and we've been through illnesses and losses together, so really, we already knew each other so well.  It was just wonderful to finally get to hug these wonderful friends of mine, to look into their eyes and carry on a live conversation.  I know it made us closer than ever.  I am so blessed that I got to have this experience, and to get to share it with Amy. 

The walk itself was amazing.  The day held up to the old adage, "Anything that can go wrong, will."  Poor Keri (the founder of Paws 4 A Cure) was running around like mad the morning of the walk, trying to fix everything that was going wrong.  But it all worked out beautifully.  True, it started to pour down rain during walker registration.  Yes, some families with pets left early because of the weather.  But still, many brave, dedicated souls stayed for the walk, and we were rewarded with a break in the rain in time for the opening ceremonies. 

The opening ceremonies started with a balloon release. 

Everyone was given a balloon on which to write the names of pets up at the Rainbow Bridge.  We released the balloons together, sending our love to our loved ones who have left us.  I wrote the names of my pets that I've lost as well as the names of the pets I was walking for.  You all were in my thoughts that day!  I severely underestimated how hard this would be.  The minute my balloon was in my hands, I started to tear up, and it didn't stop until I was blubbering at the release.  Not only was I missing my own loved ones, but I was crying for all of the pets lost to my PCS friends over the years, especially the ladies on the walk with me.

So many pets gone.  So much love being sent to them.

Then we were off!

Keri put us PCS ladies in charge of leading the walk, which was sweet but nearly disastrous, as we didn't know until about 0.02 seconds before the walk started that we were in charge.  So we didn't know the route.  We may have taken one wrong turn.  Requiring a shortcut through a parking lot.  Followed by several dozen people and their dogs.  Ooops.



After 3.1 miles, we finished!  Teresa was in this photo in spirit, but in actuality, we left her behind on the trail.  Ooops.  Sorry, Teresa!  (Pictured with us in her stead is her amazing daughter Chelsea, whom I totally want to adopt)

After this picture was taken, I hightailed it to the cake tent for, you guessed it, cake.  (We were celebrating co-founder Chee's upcoming 14th Birthday)  I initially got a piece of white cake (my favorite), but then a piece of chocolate was calling to me as well, and since I had just walked a 5K and skipped lunch, I figured I deserved it.  Plus, I made Chelsea split it with me.


This is our good buddy Wilson, a three-time mast cell survivor.  He's a good friend of Keri and Chee's, and now a good friend to all of us.  He knew we were carrying treats and used his adorable looks for evil.  He was constantly extorting us for treats.  Quite successfully, I might add.

The walk was held on the lovely Lake Quannopowitt, in Wakefield, MA 

Me and the ladies, including Paws co-founder Chee!  Check out her sweet ride that her other Aunties and I made for her.

Me and sweet Chee.  I got lots of snuggle time with her, which was awesome.

Team Leaders will be receiving spreadsheets sometime this week or next with all of the information on how much money we raised.  Based on the preliminary numbers I saw, I believe Team Indiana Bones will have raised over $800, which exceeds any number I ever expected to see.  My heartfelt thanks go out to all of our sponsors--some of whom I don't even know about yet.  So if I haven't thanked you, it's only because I haven't yet been made aware of your donation.  Still, I am touched by each and every donation our team received.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and support of me and my sweet cancer survivor!

This simply was a perfect weekend, full of laughter, tears, and so much love.  This group of women is, in a word, amazing.  I am lucky to know each and every one of you.  You all are tremendous people, full of love, with the biggest hearts I have ever met.  I am so fortunate to know you all.  After attending this amazing event, Amy and I decided to make it a yearly ritual.  I hope next year to see even more of my PCS friends, and to raised even more money, and save even more lives!

2 comments:

Chelsea Jordan said...

Jen! This was so sweet. I'm glad that my first experience with the Paws 4 A Cure organization was spent with you and the rest of the PCS girls. I hope my mom and I will be able to come back next year because I don't know if I could go my whole life without ever eating real crab rangoon, seeing Wilson, eating SO MUCH CHOCOLATE, and spending time with you and amy again! So, hopefully I will see you next year!

p.s. I'm glad you want to adopt me! We might have to arrange this..

:)

GoCowboys! said...

Oh snap, I'm crying again! We had so much FUN meeting you & Amy! And of course Keri & Chee, Kerry M and Andrea! We did indeed cry but we laughed so much too! I hope I can come again next year. I wonder what Amy can find in her hair next year! Love you guys!

Teresa