Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Unfair

Less than two months ago, I wrote about my friend Terri, who lost her dog, Sophie, to cancer.  Just yesterday, Terri lost another dog, Boden.  Though I don't know the specifics, I do know that Boden was suffering from megaesophagus.  I am heartbroken for Terri.  Losing one pet is hard enough, but to lose two...it's unimaginable. 

As with the last time, my group of pet cancer friends is rallying around Terri, who has been there so much for the rest of us.  There is little we can do for her.  We are spread around the continent.  Do our words help?  Does hearing, "I'm sorry" enough times bring comfort?  I certainly hope so.  The words just seem so...insignificant.  But the meaning, and the love behind them, is not. 

Terri, we are all holding you close to our hearts during this awful time.  If I could do something, anything, to ease your pain, I would.  If I could bring them back, I would.  You have one of the biggest hearts I know, and you don't deserve the pain that fate has thrown your way.  It's beyond unfair.  I hope you know that I am sending all of my love to you.  And I'm sorry.  I'm just...sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have felt like this all day. What do you say, when there are no words? What comfort can we offer, when there is so much pain?

So, what can we do? Sit nearby, whether in person or online, or on the phone, and just be there for her when she needs us.

-Jeanie