Monday, April 11, 2011

He's Naughtier Than He Looks

Samson, that is, not Jim.  Oh, wait.  No, Jim's naughtier than he looks too.

This past weekend was the first really nice, spring-like weekend we've had in Illinois this year.  My cats have been pretty stir-crazy all winter, so now, when the weather is nice, they're spending lots of time outdoors.  Nice weather + previously cooped-up cats = trouble.

Samson is freakishly large and freakishly smart.  He's Maine Coon, so that means he's got brains, braun, and really dextrous paws.  (Have you ever seen a Maine Coon in action?  They use their paws just like raccoons--Sam even eats with his paws sometimes)  Though he's one of the nicest, friendliest cats on the planet (he has never met a stranger), Sam has a naughty streak a mile long.  As with any intelligent animal, if you don't keep their minds occupied, they find a way to do it themselves.  For Sam during the winter, this meant stealing bread.  He has a fascination with all things plastic and all things bread, so if you leave a wrapped loaf of bread on the counter...well, let's just say we don't do that anymore. 

And speaking of stealing bread, Sam stole a piece of bread out of the toaster the other day.  Jim probably could have stopped it before he did, but he wanted to see how it would play out.  We do that a lot.  It's really fun to watch Sam at work, so unless he's in danger, we often let him go ahead and be naughty, to challenge his brain, and honestly, to amuse ourselves.  

The biggest downside to having a smart, naughty cat, as we are learning this spring, is that live creatures outside are the single most interesting, challenging thing out there.  In the past four days, we've received one worm, one vole, one wet, dead mouse, and two snakes.  I am terrified of snakes.  I shutter to think what would happen if Sam were to bring one in when Jim isn't home. 

I've gotten over my fear of mice (sort of) and can catch one now by myself (if I have to--but if Jim's home, it's still totally his job), but I don't know what I'd do with a snake...My mouse method involves a broom and dustpan with a long handle (one of the ones that flips closed--it's perfect!), and I probably could use that if I had to, but the idea of even going near a snake makes my skin crawl.  Of course, I hate the thought of a snake in my house even more.  I'm just going to pretend it's never going to happen.  Maybe Sam will forget where his stash of snakes is (it's in my garden, by the way).  Maybe he'll transplant the stash all around the yard and forget where he put them.  I somehow doubt it though.  It's going to be a long spring.

No comments: