Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thoughts About Vaccines

Happy Noodles

Last week,  we took Isis in to the vet for her twice-yearly checkup.  This appointment always includes routine bloodwork, a heartworm test, and vaccine titers.  Ever heard of titers?  (I hope so, but I won't be surprised if you haven't)

Titers are blood tests that measure the amount of vaccine antibodies in the bloodstream.  If the level of antibody is high enough, then the dog is still immune to disease.  High enough titer levels = no vaccination. 

I was thinking about this topic on Tuesday, because I got Isis' test results back, and not only was her bloodwork great (yay!) but her titer results were normal as well.  Even though I've titered for years (and have never had to revaccinate my animals), it still amazed me that Isis was vaccinated yearly for the first 7 years of her life (before I knew better) but now has not needed a vaccine for 5 years.  (This doesn't include rabies--that's a whole 'nother subject) 

Vaccines are a controversial topic in the veterinary world.  I'm not by nature a conspiracy-theorist, but in the animal world, unfortunately, profit tends to rule above all else.  Animals do not need yearly vaccines.  In fact, there is much evidence that yearly vaccines not only damage the immune system (leading to diseases like cancer), but the side effects of the vaccine can cause certain diseases as well.  Read this great article by Dr. Karen Becker to learn more.  Vaccines have even been proven to cause cancer in cats, at the injection site.  Read more about that here (and though I generally love this site, I don't agree that every cat should always be vaccinated). 

Most traditional vets push yearly vaccines, not only because this is what they're taught in vet school, but also because vaccines have a high profit margin.  It's sad.  The tides are turning a bit now, as some vets still advocate yearly vaccines but at least will provide titers if they are requested by the client.  Some vets "don't believe in titers," which I don't understand.  The results are there in black and white, on paper.  The testing lab even makes the determination if the pet has sufficient antibodies.  If your vet is "against" titers, ask yourself why.

Additionally, rabies vaccines are controversial, for no good reason.  The rabies vaccine is the most toxic of all vaccines but is required by law.  (Except for animals with long-term illnesses, like cancer.  Then a waiver is usually granted if a signed letter is provided by the treating veterinarian)  However, no animal should be given the rabies vaccine every year.   The one year shot is exactly the same as the three year shot, and the three year shot is all that is required by law (in most states, but not all, sadly).  I hear from so many pet owners whose vets give the vaccine yearly, for no apparent reason other than profit (I'm in Illinois, where the three-year vaccine is what's required).  I always encourage those pet owners to do their research on vaccines, and then find a new vet. 

To learn more about the rabies vaccine, visit The Rabies Challenge Fund, an organization started to prove that the current three-year rabies vaccine is actually good for 5 or even 7 years.  They even advocate around the country to get states to change vaccines laws to the standard (accepted) three years.  It's a great organization. 

So what am I trying to say?  Do I think people who vaccinate yearly are bad parents?  Not at all.  We are a product of our veterinary teaching.  I vaccinated my pets yearly for 8 years until my new vet taught me about titers.  I researched them, they made sense to me, and now it's something I believe strongly in.  My animals all receive a rabies vaccine every three years (except for Indy, who gets an exemption because of her cancer).  We do yearly titer tests, but no one has needed a booster yet. 

My recommendation to you is, if you haven't already, read up as much as you can on titers (the links I've provided here are a great start).  Read the good and the bad.  Talk to your vet about it.  Form your own opinion and do what makes sense to you.  Sometimes what makes sense to you isn't what your veterinarian recommends.  That's okay too.  An educated owner is an empowered owner, and our pets are better off for it.

If you're interested in learning more about vaccine issues, I encourage you to read the book Stop the ShotsIt's a complete look at the vaccine and veterinary world.  It'll probably scare the pants off of you, but that's alright.  We parents need to be shaken into action sometimes. 

Also, here is a list of recommended vaccines by Dr. Jean Dodds, a leading veterinary hematology researcher (and one of the founders of The Rabies Challenge Fund).  She lists the shots she recommends for the first year of a puppy's life (followed by titer tests at least every three years thereafter) and also talks a little about vaccines and health.

No comments: