Monday, April 18, 2011

Cats and Such

I can't get enough of Mr. Squiggles.  Can you?

Last week, I wrote about my marathon day at the vet's office.  Three cats, three sets of bloodwork.  I wasn't expecting to hear anything back until probably tomorrow, but I got a voice message (I had my cell turned off--ugh, what was I thinking?) on Friday night, telling me that all three of my boys are anemic. 

We found out, through a fluke accidental test run by the lab, that Mr. Squiggles was infected with mycoplasma, a bacterium that causes anemia in pets.  He probably got it while out on his grand adventure.  The vet treated him with some supplements, and we fully expected it to clear up, as we was otherwise asymptomatic. 

But then with last week's blood results, we learned that it's probably not gone, and has, in fact, probably spread to the other cats.  The lab is running another set of tests on all three cats right now, to see if mycoplasma is indeed the cause, or something else.  Though the descriptions of Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasmosis are frightening, I know it doesn't necessarily mean that my cats are in any danger.  We will, after all, treat them once we know what's going on.  Even so, the hyper Mom in me still freaks out about it.  This infection can be deadly.  And I really don't know anything about it, not yet. I am so anxious to talk to my vet about this, because she always makes me feel better.  Test results, hurry up and get here! 

I just can't believe I have to deal with this.  Jim says it's to be expected, when you have six pets, most of whom you adopted either because they were sick or in need.  I just wish sometimes I could get a break, in the health department.  I'm thankful that we can afford to treat our clan (today's tests are going to run about $360) without worrying too much about costs.  Still, when I'm feeling sorry for myself, I wish for just one day where all six babies are healthy!

In happier news, I have now joined Twitter!  I have a lot to learn, but I look forward to sharing information and interesting links to my followers and expanding my own knowledge base as well.  Please follow JenSchneiderDog.  I learn new things all the time, and you'll learn right along with me!  If you're on Twitter, please mention it in the comments section of my blog, and if you have any favorite animal wellness resources, please share them as well.

Sorry for the less-than-stellar blog post today.  My mind is in a million places at once right now.

No comments: