Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Goodbye, Sofie

Last month, I wrote about my friend's dog, Sofie.  Sofie was a Saint Bernard fighting lymphoma, but yesterday, Sofie lost her battle.  My heart is heavy with this news.  Sofie's Mom, Terri, has one of the biggest hearts I know.  She has 5 dogs and only adopts older dogs--one of the hardest groups of dogs to adopt out.  While Terri has had several dogs with cancer, Sofie is the first that she's lost to the disease.  Terri has spent years as a moderator for the Delphi Pet Cancer Support Group (PCS), offering love and support to the many people who have made their way to PCS over the years. 

Not surprisingly, Terri has made a lot of friends there, people like myself who have benefited from her kind heart and selfless soul.  She's been there for all of us, but sadly, now it's our turn to be there for her.  She certainly doesn't deserve this pain, and I know all of us in the PCS family would do anything to ease her pain just a little bit.  But, unfortunately, we can't.  Pain like this has to be worked through and accepted.  They say time heals all wounds, but I know it never heals them 100%. 

I hope Terri knows how much love is coming to her from around the world right now, and I hope that love can help to begin to heal her heart.  The world is a little sadder today for the loss of Sofie, but I know a star will be shining brighter in the sky tonight, Sofie shining down on Terri, grateful for the unconditional love and tremendous happiness given to her. 

Rest in peace, sweet Sofie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Jen.