Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thoughts For a Friend

A good friend of mine, someone I met years ago when Indiana was diagnosed with cancer, is fighting cancer with her dog, Sophie.  Sophie is a rescued St. Bernard battling lymphoma.  Sadly, Sophie has had a tough time with some of the standard lymphoma treatments and now has little left to fight the cancer.  Her lymph nodes increased in size dramatically overnight.  My friend is hoping a dose of a rescue drug, Elspar, can buy Sophie more quality time. 

It's tough watching my friends go through these diagnoses and treatments, especially when it's dog #2 or 3.  Though only a handful of us have met in person, my cancer friends and I know each other so well.  We have connected at the most basic level--over the purest form of love--and it's impossible not to bond.  Therefore, when one of us suffers, we all suffer.

So seeing my friend go through this, not only do I understand her pain, I am helpless to do anything for her.  We are separated by thousands of miles.  But my heart, and my thoughts, are with her and Sophie.  Love knows no distance.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Very well stated! I lost my precious boy Brandon after a 3 month fight with hemangiosarcoma. You never forget the feelings you've gone through of feeling helpless but not losing hope; of the unconditional love on both sides and of the pain upon losing your best friend. Those feelings resurface time and time again when you hear another pet parent speak of their precious pups battle with cancer.