Wednesday, March 30, 2011

UTI Woes

I suspected last week that Indiana had (yet another) UTI.  She had several accidents in the house, which is totally not her thing.  This dog was potty-trained in about three days when we first got her as a puppy, so I always know something is wrong when accidents occur.

I took a urine sample in to the vet last Thursday, and my vet was kind enough to start Indy on antibiotics to prevent something awful over the weekend, given her history with UTIs.  (This is probably her fifth one in about a year) 

I got the test results back today, and not only does Indy have a UTI, she has FOUR different bacteria growing, one of which "many commonly used antibiotics are ineffective against."  Hooray.  For those in the know, our enemies this week are Proteus mirabilis, E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Enterococcus.  And apparently they can't all agree on one antibiotic that will (or won't, as the case with Enterococcus may be) work, so she's on Baytril and Doxycycline.  Indy's had Pseudomonas before, and it's hard to treat.  The one drug that works on Pseudomonas, Amikacin, is kidney toxic, which is a major no-no in dog's with kidney disease.  So we're hoping that the antibiotics, along with a holistic urinary tract supplement, will be effective.  Another urine test in 7 days will give us a better idea. 

So, next up for me: to find out why Indy is getting recurring infections.  If we can prevent them, then we can avoid all this misery for her.  We have a vet appointment on Friday, so I'll find out more.  I have a feeling there is little we can do, because my very proactive vet probably would have already suggested it if something existed.  But still, maybe I can start to shave her around her lady parts or something. 

Despite all of this, Indy is feeling pretty good.  She has had a bright, happy look in her eye all week, and last night, she even played with Gus.  She still is getting up to greet us when we get home, and she's spending some time outdoors too.  She is so tough, and so amazing.

Speaking of which, I saw Indy's old vet today (whom I refer to as Vet #2--he left the practice, we didn't leave him).  He was seeing Gus for chiropractic but asked about Indy.  He had been talking to Vet #1 about her, catching up on how she was doing.  He told me that he talks about her all the time in his practice, and that in all of his years of veterinary care, he's never seen another dog like her.  I was super-proud Mama at the point, hearing all of these glowing things about my girl.  I don't understand what I ever did to deserve such an amazing dog, but I can say that everything I do, every sacrifice I make, I do it to live up to the standards that she has set.

1 comment:

Joy said...

My elder Collie had "Lady parts" surgery in her advanced years to correct internally pooling urine. Corrected a high UTI rate and got her all kinds of new boyfriends. (Just kidding about that last part.)

Good luck. I hope you find an easy answer.