Friday, March 11, 2011

Walking For My Girl

I support Paws 4 A Cure!

I have the good fortune of being able to travel to the Boston area in May to walk in the 4th Annual Paws 4 A Cure Annual Walk.  Paws 4 A Cure is an organization started by my friend and fellow dog Mom, Keri.  Her organization raises funds for pet families who cannot afford cancer treatments on their own.  Cancer treatments can become very expensive, and the cost adds up quickly.  I can't imagine the heartbreak of having to make a decision for your pet based on finances; you want to fight, but you can't afford it.  That shouldn't happen to anyone.  The Paws 4 A Cure Walk is really successful, and it ensures that some pet families won't have to make that heartbreaking decision.  I'm so proud of Keri for turning her grief over the loss of her Chow-Chow son, Nikko, into something positive.  I've met a lot of strong, giving women over the years, thanks to the Delphi Pet Cancer Support forum (PCS), perhaps one of the best things that has come out of Indiana's cancer diagnosis. 

I've been wanting to attend one of Keri's walks since the beginning, and after hearing that another friend was going to attend, I knew this had to be the year.  My good friend Amy is going with me, and we're walking in honor of Indiana.  It's sad, because each of the PCS members attending, myself excluded, has lost a pet to cancer.  Our "family" has lost a few dogs this year alone.  So it will definitely be a bittersweet event, many of us meeting for the first time but feeling like we've known each other forever, as it always is when we meet.  We'll mourn the losses that we've experienced together over the years, but I also want to go in celebrating Indiana's almost 5-year triumph over cancer.  She is truly amazing, and I knew walking in her honor was what I had to do.

I spend a lot of time bridging the gap between cancer Mom and cancer activist.  Because something good has to come from my grief (and you do experience grief, from that first moment you hear the diagnosis), I have felt a compulsion to educate others about cancer.  I learned the hard way, but not everyone has to.  But during the walk weekend, I just want to be Jen, Indiana's Mom.  I want to celebrate what we've been through together, and what we've accomplished.  I want to spend time with my friends, reminisce about their loved ones, and just, for one weekend, simply be me. 


***If you are financially able, I encourage you to support Paws 4 A Cure with a donation.  Please visit here to do so.***

No comments: