Monday, February 21, 2011

Tidbits


We are on Day 8 of Indiana's Poly-MVA treatment today, her second day on a full dose.  I think she's feeling a little off this morning.  She ate some of her breakfast but rejected part, which she hasn't done in a while.  I think she's having some detox issues (it can make them feel a little sick).  Not only is she acting sick this morning, but she's been super, super itchy the past several days.  This doesn't make any sense, because (a) she doesn't get any grains or any "inflammatory" foods in her diet, (b) it's the middle (end?) of winter, so there aren't a lot of allergens or even any darn fleas.  My gut instinct tells me it's a detox reaction (her body ridding itself of toxins via the skin).  My gut's usually right.

Also, and this sucks, but I think her tumor is a little bigger too.  It lays on the part of her back that she's been itching, so maybe it's inflamed from her chewing.  I also wonder if maybe it has something to do with the Poly "doing it's magic."  Maybe killing off the cancer cells causes inflammation.  I don't know.  But I'm not freaking out about it, and that usually means there is a simple reason for the problem.  There are advantages to being so mentally connected to your pet! (Does that sound crazy?)

All-in-all, we've had worse problems with drug detox.  In fact, one medicine worked so well that we simply couldn't keep her on it.  She felt so sick and I just couldn't bear to see it.  So this one, so far, isn't too bad.  We'll continue with the plan, and if she feels worse, we can always back off on the dose for a while. 

I was really hoping that my vacation a few weeks ago would be a magic fix to the winter blahs I've been having.  It was wonderful to get away, and don't get me wrong, I really needed it, but I feel again like I need a vacation!  I'm super moody some days, and I get really down on myself easily, for the stupidest mistakes.  I forget sometimes that I'm human, that it's ok for me to make mistakes.  And the thing is, I make mistakes all the time.  So I need to let up on myself and just do the best I can. 

One good thing that happened yesterday: I am heading to Boston in May for the Paws 4 A Cure Fourth Annual Walk!  Paws 4 A Cure was founded by one of my pet cancer friends, and it raises money that goes towards cancer treatments for families who can't afford it.  I'm really happy because I'll get to meet a lot of old friends, finally, in person, people who have been with me through my darkest hours (and I theirs).  We're friends for life, and it's so sweet.  I am so happy that I'm getting to go and show my support for Paws 4 A Cure and walk in honor of my own brave cancer fighter! 

Ummm...speaking of which, did you know you can visit Great Good Heart's CafePress store and order t-shirts and other merchandise showing your pride for your cancer survivor/fighter?  We have several different slogans available for purchase, and all of the proceeds go to animal cancer education and awareness!

Dang, I have blog ADD today.  This week is the big International Kennel Club Dog Show.  We do it every year, thanks to our kind supporter,  Karen Baker, our local distributor of Artemis Pet Foods.  She gives Great Good Heart a section of her booth, and in return, we help out by talking about Artemis Foods.  This is our fourth year at the show, and it's always A LOT of work, but a lot of fun too.  I get to talk about nutrition and other wellness issues and help some cancer parents along the way. 

This year, it's been hard to get ready for the show.  So much of my energy goes to helping my own dog; how do I have enough left for other people's dogs too?  But I do.  I'll dig deep and find it, and when it's all over, I'll feel good about what I've done. 

No comments: