Thursday, February 3, 2011

No Such Thing As Karma

I'm sure a lot of my readers are familiar with Luke Robinson and his 2 Dogs 2000 Miles campaign. For those unfamiliar with it, after his Great Pyrenees, Malcolm, died of bone cancer, Luke took up the monumental task of walking 200o miles from Austin, Texas to Boston, Massachusetts with his other two Pyrenees, Hudson and Murphy, to raise awareness of animal cancer. The journey took about two years, with Luke making stops along the way for various non-profit animal organizations, making public appearances with Hudson and Murphy. The rest of the time, they were on the road, sleeping in the homes of supporters, or, more often than not, in a tent along side the road.

Luke's walk is done, but his work is not. He continues to raise awareness for animal cancer through his Two Million Dogs campaign. This organization forms a network of pets and parents fighting cancer as well as cancer researchers to try to someday establish links between animal and human cancers as well as what causes them. Luke has lofty goals and has impressed me from day one with his determination and fierce love for his boys.

Admittedly, after Luke's walk concluded, I stopped paying close attention to his work. Only today, after a Facebook post from a friend, did I discover that Murphy, Luke's oldest Pyrenees, has cancer. Nasal adenocarcinoma, to be exact. Nasal adenocarcinoma is a particularly aggressive form of cancer. Unfortunately, Murphy has undergoing radiation, though unsuccessfully. His tumors continue to grow. Luckily, Murphy has Luke on his side, and some of the best doctors in the business. You can read more about Murphy on Luke's blog.

I was really sad when I heard about this today. I "knew" Luke briefly back when Malcolm was ill, as we both were members of the same online animal cancer support group. He had Murphy back then too, and I remember how hard he fought for Malcolm and how devastated he was when Malcolm died. I hate cancer and what it does to families, and I know the pain Luke is feeling now.

I'm also really mad, because Luke has committed years of his life not only to helping his own animals, but the animals of strangers as well. After what he's been through, and what he's given back, shouldn't that give him a pass or something? Sadly, it doesn't. While I haven't done anything on the scale of Luke's project, I too have committed much of my life to helping other animals, through The Great Good Heart Animal Cancer Foundation. But still that didn't stop Indiana from getting cancer. Again.

Anyone who knows me well knows my religious faith is tenuous at best and has been for many years. This didn't start out with any kind of anger issues, but simply from too many questions without good answers. When Indiana got sick in 2006, I begged God to save her, and she was saved. By all accounts, it was a miracle. Over the years, we have experienced some good and more than our share of bad. I've gone back and forth in my faith (or lack thereof), and am currently residing in the "I don't know what the hell to think" phase.

But when I see something like this, it's hard to believe that there is a higher power exerting influence over our lives. What God allows cancer anyway? Especially to the dog of someone who loves him so much and has sacrificed so much to help others? I don't know the answer to this, and I never will. I'll continue to search for my own answers and for what makes sense to me. In the meantime, I'll be sending positive thoughts and love out to Luke and Murphy. Because love, that I do believe in.

No comments: