Monday, June 27, 2011

Welcome to the Family and Happy Birthday


   Meet Cimba, the newest member of our family.


Last Thursday, I learned that Jim and I were parents again, this time to an (almost) 15-year old bay Arabian named Cimba.  I had met and fallen in love with Cimba several weeks prior, when a friend approached me about becoming his new owner.  I was blindsided by the invitation.  Many of you don't even know that I've been riding for just over two years, part of a life-long dream realized.  Or that I had intended to own a horse someday,  maybe several years in the future, when I was a better horseman, when my life was more simple, when I was ready.  But then this opportunity came up, and sometimes, being sensible simply doesn't make sense.  (It's how I ended up for four cats, people)  I couldn't pass up this opportunity, this lovely, kind horse whom I knew would become one of my best friends.

Lest you think, "Is she crazy?"  I say to you, well, yes, but not about this.  Cimba has lived at my friend's boarding/training facility for over 5 years already, and that's where he'll stay.  (A horse in my backyard?  C'mon, people.)  Plus, my friend, Nikki, is holding my hand through this whole experience.  She's sharing her vast knowledge with me, teaching me with patience and enthusiasm, teaching me about saddles and bits, taking me on shopping trips for tack.  Plus, I'm still taking lessons.  And I have several other friends who own horses, including my friend Jodi, who has already lent me books on owning Arabs.  Cimba and I have a great support system.

Maybe you'd be surprised to learn that Jim is excited to own a horse too.  He was surprisingly supportive when I came home and said, "Nikki says Cimba's looking for a new family, and she thinks we'd be perfect.  Let's get a horse."  But honestly, I shouldn't have been surprised.  Jim has always supported everything I've done.  Why would this be any different?  Plus, he constantly amazes me with his huge heart and willingness to welcome new members to our family.  They're not just my pets, they're our pets.  So Jim is starting riding lessons so that he too can ride and enjoy Cimba.  But once he gets good enough, we'll need two horses.  You heard it here first, folks.

Oh, and Cimba is small, and Jim is tall.  (But not too small, or too tall; he'll totally fit)  Jim was discussing Cimba with our friend Ranea, who basically asked him if he'd fit Cimba.  Jim said, "I hope so.  He's the only horse we've got."  Hah.

Today is Cimba's birthday.  He is fifteen years old.  I'm going over soon to see him and take him for a ride.  Though I give him treats almost every day, I'll take a few extra goodies along today.  Perhaps an apple and some carrots.  Maybe a banana.  Do horses eat bananas?  Hmmm...

Though the last few weeks have been crazy (owning a horse, even when you don't have to clean their stalls or feed them, is still a lot of work--fun, but time-consuming), I am beyond excited about what is to come.  Owning a horse is a dream come true for me, a realization of an obsession and love that started in childhood.  Taking this leap has helped focus my mind more than I ever thought--it's been a big leap not only in terms of responsibility, but also in terms of figuring out who I am.  So to my list of who Jen is, I've added horse owner.  And that has made a surprising difference.  It's altered the list of me, though in a good way, in a way I needed. 

I wish a very happy 15th birthday to Cimba, the newest member of our family.  Thanks for helping to make my dreams come true.  I'm excited for all the adventures we'll have during our time together.  I can't wait to see who we both become.

No comments: