Friday, June 3, 2011

I Spoke Too Soon

Remember yesterday?  Where I'm all, "Things are great!  My animals are all healthy and happy, blah, blah, blah."  Well, I noticed last night that Gus had a lump on his tail, and when I touched it (what was I thinking?), he got even more angry and growly than usual.  He's still holding his tail up as usual, and it's moving as it always has, so this "injury" isn't affecting how he uses it.  But I still don't know what happened (is it broken?  is there a cut?  a bug bite?) and I don't know if I should take him to the vet or not.  Today is the worst possible day to discover something like this as (a) I am babysitting for a friend all day and therefore have no opportunity to get into the vet, and (b) it's almost the weekend, meaning the vet's office will be closed should I decide he needs a vet tomorrow. 

Ugh.  This is the way of pet ownership, isn't it?  With 6 pets, I really should be glad that we had so many sunny, smooth days.  Someone was bound to get injured or sick eventually.  Gus is still being his normal self (though, to be completely honest, "normal" Gus and "crabby, sick, injured" Gus both act pretty similarly).  He's eating as normal, running around as normal.  So, probably normal.  I'll keep an eye on him and take him in Monday if need be.  And, knock on wood, no one has anything life-threatening going on, so there's still that.  Knock on wood. 

No comments: