Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quality Time

This is Q*bert

(Sigh)  I meant to get this post up yesterday, but I got busy.  Then when I wrote it up this morning, Blogger lost it.  Maybe it's not meant to be?  Oh well.  Take two.

What I wanted to tell you about the first time, was about Sunday, where Jim and I slogged around in our garden, prepping it for plants, for 4 hours.  I hate garden prep.  I hate weeding.  I kind of hate watering.  I dislike picking (especially beans--ugh).  I like eating fresh produce.  So, I take the good with the bad.  I normally prep my garden by myself, so it was great having Jim around this year to help.  And we had another really good helper--Q*bert.

Q is now obsessed with the outdoors.  It's his first summer with us, so we didn't know what his routine would be like.  As it turns out, he spends every waking (and sleeping) moment outside.  He comes in to eat.  If we call to him, he'll come running, so we can still spend time with him when we'd like.  It's pretty fun to call his name and see where he comes running from.  Usually, it's from the garden or from under a bush by the fence.

So while we were gardening on Sunday, Q was with us, chasing bugs and possibly a few rodents, rubbing against us as we kneeled to pull weeds, attacking my gloved hands, and even stopping to poo in the soil before being distracted by a spider and running after it instead. 

Having Q*bert with us in the garden made an unpleasant task that much more pleasant.  I was reminded of how lucky we are to have so many furry children and of how much they all enrich our lives.  It would be a sad, lonely life indeed without them.

No comments: