Monday, June 6, 2011

Saying Goodbye to a Friend

Rest in peace, sweet Chee.

This weekend, my good friend Keri had to say good-bye to daughter, Chee.  On Saturday, one week shy of her 14th birthday, Keri helped Chee cross over the bridge.  Several years ago, during the dog food crisis that made so many pets sick, Chee suffered a stroke, most likely brought on by tainted food.  Despite a series of strokes and other road blocks, Chee fought each battle with grace, fighting bravely and persevering. 

I had the honor of meeting both Keri and Chee last month when I attended the 4th Annual Paws 4 A Cure Walk, which was founded by Keri and Chee in honor of Chee's brother Nikko.  I knew when meeting Chee that her time left here was limited, as Keri was concerned about her quality of life.  Keri doted on Chee like no Mom I've ever seen before.  Chee could do things I've never seen a dog do, things I think few dogs could master.  Things like using the toilet (honest to God, I've seen it) and blowing her nose (I've seen that too).  Keri was an amazing Mom to Chee, sacrificing for her and dedicating much of her free time to ensuring that Chee had a good quality of life, that she felt loved and cared for. 

Keri made the most selfless, most painful decision a pet-owner ever has to face--the decision to put aside our own needs and wants and do what we feel in our hearts is best for our pets.  Even in the final hours, when Keri wanted nothing more than to keep Chee beside her, she held fast to her decision, knowing in her heart it was the best thing for Chee.  That, my friends, is love in its purest, truest form.

On Saturday, when I knew Keri was at the vet's office with Chee, thousands of miles away, my heart was breaking along with hers.  I was "with" Keri when she lost Nikko four years ago, and I've known her for almost 5 years, and I know her love for her pets and how she would be grieving for Chee.  I cried and cried, as I thought of my dear friend, saying goodbye to her best friend.  I wanted nothing more than to be beside her, to comfort her, or, better yet, to wave a magic wand and make Chee healthy and whole, to stay with Keri forever.

Today, my thoughts are still with my friend, who has a long road ahead of her.  Grief is messy and complicated, and horrid.  But Keri is not alone.  She has dozens of friends around the continent thinking of her, praying for her, and grieving right along with her.  We understand her pain, and we feel it too.

To Keri and Chee, know that I love you both.  Meeting you was an amazing experience.  If every pet owner could be the kind of Mom that Keri was to Chee, the world would be a much, much better place.  Rest in peace, sweet Chee.

2 comments:

Beth Langford said...

You're right Jen. You made me cry. I cannot shed tears for too many humans but when we talk animals, I am mush. They have such an unselfish love for their masters and it is difficult to find that kind even in another human. They give unquestionably to their masters and remain loyal forever. My heart goes out to Keri and hope Maddy gets to meet Chee someday.

Tammy said...

I'm very sorry I'm late in commenting on this post. I'm so sad to hear the news for your friend Keri. Making that decision for a pet is one of the hardest things I've ever faced. Grief is inevitable but it sounds like Keri has a great support around her, and Chee will be remembered with love by many!