Monday, June 22, 2009

Indy as a baby: Life before cancer

This blog is inspired by and dedicated to my sweetheart, Indiana. I think it's appropriate, as I start this blog, for you to learn more about her and her fight against cancer. I tend to wax a bit poetic when I look back on Indiana's life, so please bare with me during these early days; I promise things will get more fun eventually!

Indiana Bones Benson Schneider was born on April 21, 1999. It was the summer before my senior year of college, and faced with a house full of dog-less roommates, I decided to take the parenting plunge myself. After a trip to our local humane society (who amazingly was "out" of puppies!), we were referred to a local farm, who had a litter of puppies they were trying to find homes for. Of course I fell in love with the two remaining pups the minute I laid eyes on them. Two little balls of black fluff with tiny little paws and delectable puppy breath. I could take only one (though I look back on it now and think, why?); how would I choose? One of the pups was more calm than the other, with a really sweet personality. My decision was made. Mama dog was off in the fields, so there was no good-bye for her and her puppy. I cried all the way home, cradling my new baby, vowing to be the best mom in the world to her, to always take care of her. (Remember this--this will come up again in a later story)
I got my new puppy home to my parents' house, and introduced her to the rest of the dogs. She fit in right away!
Indiana and my Grama's dog, Skippy
Now for a name! What would it be? As an avid Indiana Jones (well, more like Harrison Ford) fan, my Mom suggested naming her after Indiana Jones' childhood dog, Indiana. Remember the third Indiana Jones film, when Henry calls Indiana "Junior?" Indy tells him he wants to be called Indiana. His Dad says, "We named the dog Indiana." Indy replies, "I have very fond memories of that dog." Thus, Indiana Bones was born! Life was good for this tiny pup. Her days involved eating, sleeping, and playing. Over and over and over.


Indy learned to eat this way from her collie cousin, Dynk


It's hard being a puppy!

Silly upside-down dog!

Despite a very serious illness when she was six months old, requiring three days in the hospital, life continued on as normal. Indy went off to college with me, and fell in love with my roommates, Auntie Margaret and Uncle Shree, as well as Uncle Jim (today know better as Papa). We had a fun first birthday party for her. My wonderful friends came over bearing gifts, and we shared cake with Indiana and all took her for a walk. It was a good day!

My life revolved around Indiana. I would spend as much time away from class with her as I could. My friends would hang out at my place so I wouldn't have to be away from Indiana. We went for lots of walks, spent our evenings at the dog park, played with toys, she chewed her way through every single stick in the yard, and she wormed her way into the heart of every person she met!

My family loved her just as much as I did. For my parents, it was their first "grandchild." To this day, my Mom still thinks she cried more for Indiana than me when I returned to school that fall! My parents always welcomed Indiana home with open arms on weekends and holidays.

After graduation, Jim and I welcomed another puppy to our family, Isis. (She'll get her very own post soon.) Indiana was the best big sister! Not long after, the whole family made a big move, closer to our families. Jim and I got married, and Indy and Isis were the ring bearer and flower girl (with the assistance of Auntie Margaret and Uncle Shree, of course). Starved Rock State Park (or "Stairs Park," as we call it) became our favorite place to visit. Indy and her sister were spoiled with tasty treats and mountains of toys! There were no stays at a kennel for these girls; Boommaw and Boompaw (my parents) were always happy to babysit anytime. In 2002, we moved again and added a kitty to our family--Mr. Squiggles!

Jim and I tried our hardest to be good parents. We fed what we thought was good food, gave lots of treats, went on lots of walks. We were doing the best we could with the knowledge we had. As it turns out, it wasn't good enough.

Up next: The day that changed our lives forever.

No comments: