Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Celebration of Life!

Three years ago on June 30, Indiana was reborn, free of cancer. Every year we celebrate with a big party, full of food, games, family, and friends. It's a way for us to celebrate the miracle we received that day. We are blessed with wonderful friends and family, many coming from out of town, willing to share this day with us.

Yesterday was the big day for Indiana! The weather was forecasted to be hot (close to 90 degrees), so we decided to hold the party indoors. This limited us a bit, but we figured our guests would be much more comfortable stuffed together in the air conditioned house rather than spread out under the annoying mid-western sun.

Each year brings a new party theme. This year: Flea Circus!


The centerpiece--featuring all 4 kids!


This would have been less obnoxious outside. I think.

Desserts. Yum!


Waaaaaay too much carnival food. Including nachos.
I think I consumed my weight in them yesterday.


My good friend Shanele decorated these gorgeous cupcakes
for me. All 96 of them. Isn't she talented?
Schneider parties always involve games. Usually goofy ones. We love our friends, and they're good sports for putting up with the odd things we ask them to do. This year's party was supposed to involve clowns and tricycles, but that plan was scrapped due to the heat. Darn it. We still were able to fit in two fun, less-humiliating games. And we're always generous with the prizes, so there's an incentive for our friends to play.

Here's Stuart and my Mom playing the ball toss game.
I hand-painted Krusty the Clown. I was pretty proud of that.
This game was actually a lot harder than it looks.
Stu was the winner, I think.

Being from Chicago, this was our own version
of Bozo Buckets, called Boozo Buckets.
(Indy's nickname is Boo--get it?) Note the clown shoes,
nose, and tie my wonderful Mom is wearing.


We also like to send our guests home with not only prizes, but also gift bags! (What's a party without some swag?) This year's bags featured magnets of Indiana, candy, Cracker Jacks, and a souvenir photo of the big day.
Here's talented cupcake-decorator Shanele
and husband Matt. Super cute!
Indiana had a really fun day. She was so excited to see everyone and to be the guest of honor. I swear she knew the party was for her. Several people brought gifts, and I love that everyone made sure the treats were high-quality goodies.
One of the highlights of the day, for me, was Indiana seeing my college roommate Margaret for the first time in nearly 9 years. (We all roomed together for a year) I didn't know if Indy would remember Margaret right off, but she did! No barking or nervousness, just a smile and a happy butt. It really almost made me cry, because her relationship with Margaret, until yesterday, was entirely B.C. (before cancer, as we call it). Seeing Indy and Margaret together again brought me back to those innocent days. It was bittersweet, thinking of the lost innocence as well as the wonderful memories we all have together.

Here's a happy Indiana with her
Auntie Margaret.
It was really just a wonderful day for all of us. We're so lucky to have friends willing to help set up the party, tear down, and come and join in the fun. We have so much to be thankful for. We have amazing friends and family and the best dog in the whole world. She's still alive and well, and we couldn't ask for anything more.
Happy New Birthday, my precious girl!








No comments: