Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Lazy Copy and Paste of My Facebook Update

I just got back with Indiana from a vet appointment with another vet. I ran into a friend who used to be Indy's vet over the weekend. (She only stopped being our bet because she moved away). Long story short, she saw my posts about Indiana's tumor and offered to give Indiana injections of a drug she is starting a trial on. It is pretty cool and seems like it could have fantastic implications for both humans and animals. Anyway, we went up to the suburbs to start the first of four weekly injections.

The trip was actually pretty great because (1) my good friend and personal vet tech Amanda went with us, (2) Indy had eaten well just before we left and was feeling really good, (3) another friend, who is a Reiki Master, was our vet tech, and we go to chat with her while Indy got Reiki, and (4) my vet friend is amazing.

She believes that Indy's tumor is just that--all new tumor growth. The quick advancement could mean that the tumor has become aggressive. She told me that Jim and I should begin to prepare...which I think we have already started to do anyway.

The tumor opened up some last night, causing an open wound and thus some bleeding. If we can keep it under control, the bleeding shouldn't be a big deal. If we can stop the tumor from growing, we should be able to minimize the risk of infection, which is our biggest long-term worry. I realize that wound care will be a part of the rest of her life. This is a bigger deal for me than for her. I know she's ready for a fight, and so am I.

I am hopeful that this new drug can help reduce tumor inflammation but will also help her arthritis. Indy is alert and happy and is able to walk and eat with gusto. I know our time is limited, and this is hard to wrap my mind around. I apologize in advance for being a bad friend/daughter/employee/mother to my other animals as I move into this new chapter with Indiana. I know I'm going to struggle for a while.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their concern, love, and support thus far. It means so much. Truly, it does. Indy, Jim, and I are so fortunate to have so many people in our lives who are willing to help and support us.

Indy is a tough girl who has cheated death more than once. We're not writing her off yet.

No comments: