Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Week of Good Enough

Okay.  I'm letting some things slip this week.  Being a little lazy.  Making some mistakes.  Okay, a lot of mistakes. 

The play I'm doing this summer with my parents opens on Friday, which means this is crazy-busy-super-insane-lack-of-sleep-my-brain-is-going-to-explode week, i.e. Tech Week.  I've gotten to bed post-midnight the last two nights, and it's only going to get later as the week goes on.  Thank goodness my daytime schedule is (purposely) pretty light this week. 

Last night, I got in after midnight, and I decided a shower was definitely in order before crawling into bed.  I was caked not only in stage makeup (which is basically plaster, only not really) but also multiple layers of sweat and dirt.  By the time I had something to eat (performing makes me oddly hungry) and got myself calmed down (performing also makes me wired), it was about 1am.  Jim got up at 5:30am for work, and usually I get up with him, to have breakfast and feed the dogs.  Then I go back to bed.  But not today.  I decided that just over 4 hours of sleep, when I had gotten just 5 the night before, was not sufficient.  I decided to stay in bed and shoot for about 7 hours, which is much more respectable.  The extra sleep was nice, but as soon as my cats heard me stir, they were on me like white on rice.  Excuse me.  Excuse me.  Lady.  Lady.  LADY!  It's 8 o'clock.  We're hungry.  You're always up before 8.  Get up.  Please.  Please.  Please.  Please.  Please.  Please.  Oooh, that's my brother.  I'm gonna kick his butt.  It's his fault the lady isn't up.  So up I got, with four cats in tow, to make breakfast.  They all stared at me in judgement while I prepped their food, but, whatever.  Don't judge, cats.  You don't know me. 

There are dishes in the sink and on the counter, and a dishwasher full of clean dishes, ready to be put away.  I did a load of laundry this morning, in preparation for another sweaty rehearsal tonight.  My house is a mess, and the lawn needs to be mowed.  I'm working a few hours at the pet food store today, and I swear I've developed temporary ADHD.  (For instance, I just noticed that, inexplicably, my laptop is showing up 100% charged.  Which is hasn't done in about a year and a half.  Why, suddenly, did it decide to charge?  Can I finally unplug it?  Use it as a real laptop?  Dare I try it?  What if the computer is lying?) 

Thus, I've declared that this week, I will simply do good enough.  Notice I didn't say good.  I will keep my animals alive, fed, and medicated.  I will not smell or wear stinky clothes.  I will keep all of my appointments.  I will get up one more blog post this week.  I will ride my horse.  Most of all, I will keep my sanity.  Or at least some of it.  That's good enough.

No comments: