Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Will Survive


Today marks the 4 year anniversary of Indiana's rebirth. Four years ago, Indiana was diagnosed with cancer and nearly died. A year ago today, I shared Indiana's story for the first time. It was really the first time I had let myself even think or process the story, because it caused me so much pain. Writing it out was so cathartic to me, and this year, finally, I can look back on that day and not feel such an ache in my heart.
Today, Indiana is a happy, relatively healthy, 12 year old cancer survivor. While she has some long-term effects from both the cancer and the chemo, her greatest complaints are the ailments of an old dog. Considering we were told she would die at 8, we feel fortunate every day to even have an old dog. Though Indiana is hugely spoiled (and it doesn't go to her head, thank you very much), we think she deserves every bit of it. Through surgery, chemo, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture, and numerous vet visits, Indiana has issued nary a complaint (unless you try to trim her toenails; that's a whole 'nother matter). Everyone who meets her agrees that she's special. She touches everyone she meets, and she inspires me every day. Every day, I strive to live up to her standards and be the kind of parent she deserves.
So today, for the first time, I truly celebrate her accomplishment and her triumph. I banish all thoughts of the pain we suffered that day, and the past four years, and I am grateful to have a dog who is free of cancer. Congratulations, my brave, sweet girl. You make me proud every day, and you inspire me in so many ways. Thank you for making my world brighter. Our world is a better place with you in it!

No comments: