Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gus is 2-ish


Today is our Gus' birthday. He is two...ish. Since he was a rescue, we just estimated his birthday as August 1 but recognize that we could have hit it right on the nose, be several weeks off, or likely, somewhere in between. And because we bought him an awesome cat house for his birthday and didn't want to wait a day to give it to him, we decided to celebrate July 31 as his 2nd-ish birthday. But the party comes today.


Gus really is the brightest spot in our lives. He has brought us joy since day one, but ever since Mr. Squiggles went missing, Gus has really kept us going. Regardless of what he's doing, he makes us laugh or smile. Sleeping? Adorable. Playing with catnip mouse? Laughing my head off. Sleeping on my lap? My heart is going to stop. Standing around doing nothing? Still freaking adorable. (And I think he has the most adorable man-parts ever. Is that weird?)
I am grateful every day for my little man, and I have to say, he's extra special in my heart because he too knew and loved Mr. Squiggles, and perhaps knew him better than anyone else in the world. I am envious that they could communicate in a way I cannot, and I wish I could talk to Gus and ask him what he's thinking. What was Mr. Squiggles like? What did he really think? Did we annoy him, or did he love us? Or both?
But alas, I don't speak cat, and besides, Gus is curled up asleep on my lap, looking devastatingly adorable, as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gus! (Belated).
-Jeanie